I’ve been reading other weight loss blogs during my gardening leave that one of the best ways to stick to your goals is to (no surprise) start a blog. Since I love to learn new things and I pretend to be a technologist when I work I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to play around with this forum.
After over a week (probably two, maybe three) of fretting over domain names, taglines, photos, etc., I just decided I needed to get something out there. Just start. You don’t know until you try, right?
Then I added the stress of over-thinking the doubts entering my mind, particularly:
- Are you sure this isn’t another rabbit hole to procrastinate with the real work of working a plan to lose the pounds?
- Why add another thing to your to do list?
- Are you gonna start one day and stop in a week? That would be embarrassing!
- What if someone I know reads it?
- What do you have to say that can help anybody?
- And the ultimate — who do you think you are?
Doubts be damned, I’m writing on this somewhat anonymous platform to make sure I can start something and stick to it until it doesn’t serve me anymore.
My idea for the format is to create a monthly focus or challenge and chronicling the good, the bad and the ugly of each experiment – not exactly Tim Ferris-style [he gets pretty extreme in The Four Hour Body], but more like Gretchen Rubin in the Happiness Project.
More on that tomorrow, along with some starting stats.